Pages

Friday 24 January 2014

NEW PAWS IN THE HOUSE . . .

It's been a month since I last posted so before I share my news with you I have to wish you all a somewhat belated HAPPY NEW YEAR!  Our Christmas was lovely and although we now have some very frail older members of the family I am so thankful that we were able to share the festivities with them and bring smiles to their faces x

I have done a little stitching over the Christmas break but circumstances have changed drastically in the last 2 weeks and here's why . . .

Let me introduce you to our new addition ~ 
MONTY
a golden cockapoo puppy aged approx. 10 weeks

The sad ongoing saga that accompanies his arrival is a hard one to share and for various reasons I cannot completely share it all at the moment but when DH and I went to view him some 2 hours drive away we found ourselves at very unclean, unhealthy and poor conditions and this little pup was not a happy one, nervous, withdrawn and no wagging tail.

I have read about the cruel ways some puppies are bred and all sensible advice is to leave alone and not pay money to these horrible people enabling them to continue BUT that's not me.  I let my brain rule my heart on the Saturday we first saw him and walked away but by the end of the evening DH and I had already made the decision that we would return the next day and bring him home.

And that's exactly what we did ~ another 2hr drive there and back with him wrapped in blankets all the way home with the seller providing us with no food for him, no puppy pack and no favourite toy all as advertised and since then no free 4week Petplan Insurance either!

Monty visited my own Vets the very following day for a full health check and to have his 1st vaccination repeated as we are pretty sure that we hadn't been told the truth about that either!  We had literally sat up all the previous night with him continually scratching and crying but wanted to be cuddled the whole time ~ he was slightly below weight but his heart, limbs and temperature were good but he was diagnosed with severe lice (biting ones) and his body was covered in scabs, treatment was given straight away.

The next day he passed blood continually so I took him straight back to the Vets and had to get samples for anaylsis ~ all tests came back positive and I have been  told he has acute intestine infections and because he cannot have his 2nd vaccination because he is so poorly he doesn't have any immunity to fight it, medicines alone will have to do it for him!

I thought at the beginning of the week I would lose him, he was a very poorly pup but the past 2 days have seen a great improvement and I'm hoping we have rescued him in time, I have no doubt at all that had we not bought him home that day he would have lost his life.

If you've got this far ~ thank you for bearing with me and if you still have dry eyes ~ well done!

Following advice from my Vet I have notified the relevant authorities and next week I will be giving a statement to an official, I have no interest in retrieving the monies lost, but a strong determination in helping them to rid our society of these cruel and horrible people.

I fell in love with this little fellow as soon as I saw him and I will do absolutely everything possible to give him the long and healthy life he deserves ~ we have so much to do together, so much to explore and discover, lovely long walk, lots of playtime, holidays and cuddles x

Every cockapoo has a different appearance but typically Monty has the curls of a poodle and the face of a spaniel, DH idolises him too and says he looks like a woolly lamb!

He has a sweet temperament and is very loving and for the Vet to comment on this too was lovely to hear

Training is going really well but we are not pushing it too much at the moment ~ let's get over the sore tummy first and the 2nd vaccination then we're set to go for fun, fun, fun.

Just one more thing, I'm sure a lot of you are thinking Hey, what about Tilly and Oscar? Dogs and Bunnies?
Well, one step at a time, I have not changed their lives or routine but just made sure that at the moment they are kept safe ~ Monty is well aware of them and they of him. They come inside to their cage at the end of the day and Monty sits and very patiently watches them, they both seem very settled for him to do so and come over to the wire frame and noses are rubbed together ~ one step at a time but I hope they can all live happily together xxx

Thanks for stopping by, apologies for not visiting anyone recently and a lack of stitching but I'll get there, just need a bit of time at the moment xxx

26 comments:

Barb said...

Oh Jane my dear friend, what an angel you are ,Monty is so lucky to have you as his mum and you are just so lucky to have such and adorable puppy. Hope the breeder gets their just desserts and they throw the book at him,lock him up and throw away the key. Monty will give you lots of joy I am sure , and will be great friends with Tilly and Oscar.
Take care and it is great to see a post from you.

Melody said...

Bless you for saving this darling puppy! He is so adorable. I hope he gets over his health issues so he can enjoy a happy life with you. Keep us posted on his progress.

Vickie said...

Oh these situations always just break my heart! I hope they are shut down.
Monty!Monty is priceless. I had a cockapoo as a girl. She was a fantastic dog. I loved her very, very much. I do so hope, and I am praying, that Monty overcomes these troubles and enjoys a long, healthy life with you.♥

Shebafudge said...

He is totally adorable but what a horrible start it sounds like he had to life. Well done to you for reporting the breeders, I hope the authorities do something to ensure that they can't do this to any other dogs!

Karyn said...

I am in love, Jane! What a sweet sweet baby he is…and what an angel you are :) I am sending hugs to you all…
When we got Teagan, she was soo sick and so little that even our vet thought we would lose her, but thanks to her strong will and our care and love (I held her in my arms at 2.9 lbs for weeks) she not only made it, but 10 years later she remains the best furry child we could ever have imagined. I see Monty just like Teagan :)
Hugs
Ma
Keep us posted, dear friend...

Lesleyanne said...

Awww he is such a cutie. How lucky for Monty for find you as his Mummy. I look forward to hearing how well is doing soon. Hugs xxx

stitchersanon said...

As a volunteer with the ISPCA and when in the uk with the RSPCA I should tell you off and tell you that you should have phoned them straight off. Sigh. But to completely honest I would have done exactly the same as you and brought him home. So glad you are going to push through with the offical parties. He has his first jab so it will offer some immunity, but just try to get him through the next few weeks and get some weight on him. Puppys should be bouncy; worry about the training once he is bouncing.

I have dogs and rabbits together..and chickens, ducks and geese with no problems at all. You are doing exactly the right things: letting them see each other, being patient. Puppy will learn that they are part of his pack and he will be fine..just take your time.

I will keep my fingers crossed that this little fellow is ok: if you cant get him through then I doubt anyone could and at least he is experiencing love and kindness.

Cath said...

Happy New Year Jane.
Monty is gorgeous . Bless you for saving him and giving him a loving home. Words are not enough . I would have done the same thing too. I hope he recovers soon so you can start enjoying having fun with him , for now lots of love and cuddles. Thank you xxx

Sara said...

Monty is gorgeous and definitely very lucky to be found by you and your DH. I hope he recovers quickly and that the breeder gets what he deserves.

Mouse said...

awwwwwwwwww ..... bless his cotton paws he looks a wonderful wee fellow .... and he seems to be thriving under your care too .. good for you you in getting things under way re reporting and I hope they are closed down for good ....
Master Bentley love the guinea pigs and they him they come up nose to nose too ... he can't get to them but spends time in the room quite happily watching each other ...
welcome to the blogging world Monty and hope to see lots more gorgeous photos of you :) love mouse xxxxx

Maggee said...

Monty is a real cutie pie!! If he was with a breeder at least you won't have the problems with a feral dog and your rabbits! I wouldn't trust my daughter's adopted dog...he was on his own before she got him and he has some viciousness in him. I do hope he recovers fully and is a bouncy puppy soon! Ready to read about some 'escapades' in his life! Thanks for sharing!

Pam in IL said...

Monty is so adorable and cuddly! We have rescued pups as well. DD and her fiance rescued a puppy last year and she was very sickly for a while too. I really hope your statement will help put the puppy mill out of business and I pray that Monty will get well and thrive in your care.

Scout and Sage said...

Oh my goodness, what a cutie pie. How can people be so mean to animals? :( All our domestic animals want is love and care and play and love and .. didn't I mention love?

It looks like you have more than enough love to give this adorable little fellow .. and thumbs up to you for phoning the authorities. No being should have to be born into such a mess.

Cindy's Stitching said...

The puppy is adorable. What a cutie.

Lisa V said...

My parents had their Cockapoo for 14 years, he looked just like your Monty as a puppy, but he was black. As he grew his looks changed and he started to look more like a heavier set poodle, he always looked soo funny when he came back from his grooming/clip.
Have fun!

P.J. said...

So happy to hear that Monty found you!!! And absolutely happy to hear you are reporting the terrible treatment; poor bugger. Soon it will be puppy and bunny love all around.

Barb said...

You and your husband are truly angels on earth to rescue Monty. He is absolutely precious. I will keep you all in my prayers that Monty gets well. Living in a happy, loving home where he is safe and well-cared for is such a blessing for him. Please keep us updated his progress.

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Monty is adorable and will do well with your love and attention! Go get those awful breeders!

Kate said...

Welcome to Monty, what a very lucky chap he is that you and DH came along when you did.

Gillie said...

Oh, wish I could come over for a cuddle. Ya, boo and hiss to all puppy farms, definitely throw away the key, or even better melt it down. Looking forward to some gorgeous pictures of the whole family soon.

Paula said...

Monty is wonderful and soooo lucky to have you I hope he continues to improve. My sister has had two cockapoos and loves them!!!!
Continued good wishes!
Paula

BearShe Cottage said...

You are doing the right thing and reporting that place. Wishing you and Monty and family a long happy life together. You are the right family for him.

Annette said...

Happy New Year!!
What a cutie
And how sweet of you to take such good care of him.
I hope he will stay healty, and will give you much joy and love!!
Have fun.
and happy crafting

Valma said...

awwwwwwwwwww, Monty is so cute !
I want to cross the screen and cuddle him =D
I really hope he is better now
what a story
here in France a man has just been declared guilty of cruelty against animals (he posted on his facebook page a terrible video of horrid things he did to a cat !) and he is now in jail for 1 year !
Sure Monty will give you lot's of love
xxxx

Chris said...

He is absolutely beautiful and how strange, we have a Cockapoo, so some people in our road decided they would like one.. theirs could be the twin of yours and even stranger his name is ......Monty too!
Ours is grey and white and called Nell, she is our darling and we love her to bits!
Looked back on your blog and omgosh what a beautiful big garden you have. I have just posted pics of ours looking very sad after all the rain we have had, but we have had some sunny days and I have started getting it back to looking good!
And your stitching is beautiful too, I love those snowmen and what a good idea to make them into a hanging.

Happy days
Chris x

Sally said...

It has been a long time since I looked at your blog as you can tell as I hadn't seen this post before. I hope you, Monty, Tilly and Oscar are all well. Monty's story broke my heart but I just know he will be happy with you. Bigs hugs xx